Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Trust Me

Mahshad Goudarzi

3.1.2010

Trust Me

Family is defined by Merriam Webster’s Dictionary, “A group of individual living under one roof and under one head.” In many families when they want to make a decision, they ask all of the family members about it. In my family, this is different. They don’t truly count me as a person, but they always pick on me. Their reason is because I’m a teenager and I don’t know what is right and wrong. I know being a teenager is the time that parents worry about their kids and it’s hard for the kids too but teenagers should be able to be independent and trusted.

Iran is a closed country. People move from Iran because, they don’t like living there. They want to have more freedom, and be able to do what they want without explaining it. When I was in Iran I had a better relationship with my parents because it was so restricted in society and my freedom was limited. In Iran people have to give excuses for what they are doing. In the U.S people can just live the way they want. Here my parents force me to do what they want. They don’t trust me; on the other hand they don’t want me to feel bad so they say “We don’t trust people out there.” If they trust me, why are they worry about people around me? When ever I’m listening to music, reading Farsi books, or even wearing a new shirt, I am aware of something wrong. I want them to know, I don’t look for trouble, so I try to do what they want and not argue with them.

Every morning when I leave of the house to go to school, my parents go to work after me. They come back home at 7:00 pm every day. When ever they call me from work, they tell me to do homework. When I say “I did” or “I’m doing it” they say, “yeah sure…” This is the time I really get mad and sometimes I want to hang up the phone. I don’t truly know why they think I’m not worried about my future? Why do they think everyone are wrong except them? They always tell me “You teenagers think you are right about anything but no others.” I think it is the opposite. For example, one of my brother’s teacher’s email’s student’s parents to tell them what they will do each week. Last week when my dad saw the email it said they will start a new fiction book to read. My dad said he would reply and said he didn’t want his son to read fiction; he wanted his son to read about real people not people’s imaginations. We tried to talk to him but he said “I know you guys like fiction books, how ever it won’t help your future.” He was about to email the teacher then I stopped him by telling him about outside reading.

When my dad was a kid he truly wanted to be a business man, although he became a doctor. Now I’m thinking when I grow up I want to be dentist. My dad is trying to get my attention for business. I have told him I want to be dentist, but he tells me to do what he wants for now and when I grow up I can do what I want to. First he starts getting me and my brother to read magazines. These magazines are Money, Fortune, and Business week. In actual fact they are excellent and helpful, but only if you are interested. Then he told us about the book call “48 lows of power”. Actually I recommend this book because it helps to understand people and how to act with them. When we go somewhere with many people we don’t know, how ever they are successful in their life, my dad make me and my brother talk to them. To learn how they did in their life. He tells us these people are similar to a class for us to help for our future. I actually appreciate my dad and wish him the best; because he is a hard worker and he cares about his family. However, he can care about me and my brother by letting us follow our dreams and interested too.

I believe having family is the most precious gift that the big lord gave us. Sometimes there are complications in it, but they will be solved. Parents want their kids to do well in everything; it’s sometimes hard for them to explain it. I don’t know about other kids who are my age, but I’m sure I need my parents and their help forever. I know they understand me and do their best to help. I can help them better if they believe in me.

1 comment:

  1. You explained the differences between two generations in the best possible way. you are right in all area and unlike other teenage in your age group you are seeing both sides, your side and parent's side.

    ReplyDelete